Latest news


  • PBS

Another great map in the POWERBITS GAMETEAM MIXED 60HZ server


  • Version: 1.0
  • SWS Link:
  • Details: US Forces have access to a single Loach helicopter, it will despawn once Objective E is taken. (This mechanism is subject to change)
  • History: The Battle of Fire Support Base Ripcord was a 23-day battle between elements of the U.S. Army 101st Airborne Division and two reinforced divisions of the North Vietnamese Army from July 1, 1970 until July 23, 1970. It was the last major confrontation between United States ground forces and North Vietnam of the Vietnam War. Three Medals of Honor and six Distinguished Service Crosses were awarded to participants for actions during the operations.  As the 101st Airborne Division planned the attack on enemy supply bases, the North Vietnamese army (NVA) was secretly observing their activities. From March 12 until June 30, the NVA was sporadically attacking the firebase. On April 29, President Nixon launched the Cambodian Incursion which was officially concluded on June 30 when the last U.S. troops left Cambodia. Immediately after this, the United States made one final attempt to block the Ho Chi Minh Trail. After weeks of reconnaissance by the North Vietnamese, on the morning of July 1, 1970 the NVA launched a mortar attack on the firebase. During the 23-day siege, 75 US servicemen were killed, including Colonel Andre Lucas, who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor; and First Lt. Bob Kalsu, the only contemporaneously active pro athlete to be killed during the war. Losses of US forces were so great that officers began asking for volunteers from other units to go to Ripcord and reinforce the firebase. Finally , command realized that the position was not defensible, and the decision was made to withdraw. Fighting from four hilltops, surrounded, and outnumbered nearly ten to one, U.S. forces caused heavy losses on eight enemy battalions, before an aerial withdrawal under heavy mortar, anti-aircraft, and small arms fire. After the U.S. Army withdrew from the firebase, USAF B-52 heavy bombers were sent in to carpet bomb the area Major General (ret) Ben Harrison, then the commander of the 3rd Brigade of the 101st Airborne at FSB Ripcord, is of the opinion that perhaps the NVA losses at Ripcord, just as their losses of their major offensives of the Ia Drang in 1965 and Tet in 1968, crippled the offensive capability of NVA for two full years, resulting in the delaying of their Easter Offensive from 1971 to 1972.



This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Powerbits 1 year ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar