Main Menu Overhaul
New for 1.08 is the Main Menu overhaul. Included in this overhaul is the following:
- Displaying your custom characters
- Allowing customization within the menu itself
- Quick match functionality
After listening to your feedback about the new menu, we have implemented the ability for players to switch back to the game’s original main menu background style, while retaining the updated functionality being rolled out in 1.08. This can be found in the Player View & HUD Settings, as shown below:
Quick Match is new to Rising Storm 2: Vietnam and we’re excited for everyone to give it a spin! This feature is still in development and issues may arise. Please be sure to report all issues on the Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Steam forums.
Quick Match example below:
New to Rising Storm 2: Vietnam is the ARVN (Army of the Republic of Vietnam), a new faction for the Southern forces. Included in the ARVN update is the following:
- Fully voiced ARVN soldiers
- New commander abilities:
- Mortar strike
- Skyraider Napalm Run
- 2 new maps featuring famous ARVN battles:
- Supremacy – Quang Tri
- Territories – A Sau
- 5 New weapons
- M1 Garand
- M1-D Sniper
- M1918 Bar
- M1919 A6
- Thompson SMG
- New Achievements
- New Customization Area
A Sau (Territories)
Introducing a new territories mode map in which the PAVN attack an ARVN firebase during a rainy night accompanied by the light of flares which dynamically light objective locations. This valley was a key entry point to the south of Vietnam where the Ho Chi Minh trail cuts though to the south. The 1966 battle of A Sau was a victory for the PAVN resulting in the North taking control of this strategically integral spot
Quang Tri (Supremacy)
Introducing an early morning supremacy map: Quang Tri, set almost entirely within the walls of Quang Tri citadel. The most northern province of South Vietnam, and as such the battle of Quang Tri was an important symbol of ARVN authority. During the Tet Offensive it became a prime target for PAVN forces
A .30 calibre, semi-automatic which saw the most of its service in the hands of US servicemen during WWII. The ARVN received over 200,000 of these heavyweight, ten-pound guns from their American allies
M1-D Sniper Rifle
A variant of the M1 Garand, featuring an optic mounted to the left side of the receiver
This submachine gun is a classic symbol of prohibition America. The ARVN armed their reconnaissance units with these deadly accurate, fully-automatic weapons until they were replaced by the M16 assault rifle
This 32 pound beast of a machine gun is the younger brother of the M1919A1. Equipped with a lighter barrel and a carry handle to assist with ease of use, the M1919A6 boasts a range of 1.4 km and can fire 600 rounds per minute
Designed in 1917 to be used as a walking firearm in the trenches of WWI, this was the most prolific of the Browning Automatic Rifles
ARVN Commander Abilities
Bombard an area with light mortars, distinct from the airburst artillery of the US and ANZAC forces, or the mixed bag of munitions used by the PAVN and NLF
The Douglas A-1 Skyraider is a single seat attack plane that was a favourite among the ARVN forces. The first aircraft to be involved in dropping ordnance in Vietnam, the Skyraider is the bringer of Napalm for the ARVN
In addition to Ninh Phu, which is leaving beta as we go into 1.08, we are adding three new Community Maps to the game in update 1.08 – these maps are as follows:
Borderwatch by Oakts
The second map to be made official by Community Mapper Oakts! This time the Aussies face off against the North Vietnamese near the Laotian border.
Resort by Juu
In this Territory map a resort has been overrun by the NLF and must be retaken by the USMC.
Firebase Georgina by Zachary Moe
An epic, large-scale Territory map culminating in a battle over a firebase in the Gia Lai province.
All three of these maps have been included in the default map rotation, and are released in a ‘beta’ state, with some bugfixes already included. More updates to these maps will be released in subsequent versions, so watch this space!
Misc. Gameplay Changes
- Changed the way bleeding and bandaging works: lowered the number of bandages to one and reduced the time it takes to bleed out. You can still get the ‘survive’ achievement, but you will need to resupply bandages at a supply point.
- Improved the leaning system (by default on Q and E) to improve player experience. For example, new camera animations, sounds, and weapon ‘cant’ (angling, which affects bullet trajectory) have all been implemented to the improve the look and feel of leaning.
- Added an indicator pointing back to the battlefield in the ‘Out of Bounds’ display. This should help players better orientate themselves when landing out of bounds
- Changed the timer on all stock maps. Territory maps now last 35 minutes and supremacy maps are now at 25 minutes
- Added a more gradual outro at the end of the round so the transition into the After Action Report is less abrupt
- Added new Achievements for the ARVN expansion – with more puns than ever before! Now that’s punny!
- Updated camera effects when shot and bleeding.
- Improved movement interaction with steep angles. Movement around rocks and cliffs should be smoother.
- Character lighting and shadowing is much more consistent from map to map. Players and Helicopters no longer appear to glow on Song Be.
- Reduced overall brightness of overhead maps to make icons easier to see.
- Added audio to to the fire left behind by Napalm and Flamethrowers
- Added audio feedback for when a player is shooting and hitting a helicopter
- Added audio to RPG projectiles when passing near player
- Added sound effects which play when players stray into enemy territory
- Modified the grenade explosion sound as per community feedback
- Adjusted the AC47’s audio to fade out rather than abruptly cut off as the plane exits the battlefield
- Added foley sounds to a variety of ingame actions. Some examples of this are:
- Stance changing
- Aiming down sights
- Moving in and out of objectives
- Split out the ‘artillery’ style Commander Abilities between the two Northern armies – the NLF’s Barrage remains unchanged, however the PAVN now have access to conventional Heavy Artillery
- Changed the Southern faction on Ninh Phu from USMC to ARVN
- M18 Claymore now persists after player death
- Increased the firing rate of the M1917 Revolver
- Updated the positioning of on all weapons while hipped or shouldered, moving them further from the camera
- SVD ironsights are no longer obstructed by the scope mount.
- SVD illuminated reticle no longer blooms and should be easier to use on dark maps.
- Added the ARVN weapons to the Shooting Range
- Updated shader for the North Vietnamese Binoculars
- Reduced the overall brightness of MG tracers. Tracers are still visible but are more visually subtle on day maps.
- Added first person camera animation to melee charging, making the action feel more dynamic
- Removed the mute players button from the escape menu. Players are encouraged to use the scoreboard to mute other players instead.
- Added Japanese, Korean and Simplified Chinese achievements to the stat screen
- Added an indicator to the team select screen to display the team you are currently on
- Added new third person animations for holstering the Pick Mattock, Punji Shovel and RPG-7
- Visual improvements to blood splatters and pooling. Blood pools now correctly receive shadows from the environment.
- “Obstacle Glow” is now consistent from object to object.
Major Changes Since the Open Community Test Branch Weekend Session
Thank you to everyone who helped us playtest v1.08, and the ARVN content during the open CTB! Thanks to your feedback and support we iterated heavily to bring the content more in line with community expectations (and we fixed a few bugs to boot!)
- Improved performance across both maps
- Reworked Objective C on A Sau to make it easier for defenders to reinforce, and for attackers to attack
- Tweaked the Thompson’s MOA due to reports that it was extremely inaccurate when in full-auto mode, even when firing single shots
- Various tweaks to weapon performance and handling
- Adding the missing ‘shift zoom’ function of the M1919A6
- Fixed an issue where the En Bloc clip would only be ejected from the M1 Garand on the first reload of the weapon
- Fixes to the sandbag walls which lacked collision on A Sau, as well as collision and lighting issues across both maps
- Exploitable spots on the rooftops of Quang Tri have been eradicated
- Fixed an issue where leaning could cause rounds to fire in the wrong direction
- Fixed an issue where the BAR’s bullets would be fired from the position of the iron sight rather than the weapon’s barrel
- Fixed several issues with the new return-to-combat-zone arrow, including it not working for passengers in helicopters or it pointing to the wrong location
- Fixed an issue where the new lean foley sound would lean regardless of whether or not the player leaned
- Fixed an audio issue with the new foley where players in helicopters would hear the returning to combat voice over at inappropriate times
These are only some of the changes which have been actioned since the CTB testing so far! More changes are incoming in further hotfixes and patches, including fixes to weapon animations, more minor map issues, and a half-reload for the M1 Garand.
- Fixed an issue where the client crashed upon closing the game through console commands
- Fixed an issue where mounting the bipods on LMGs and hitting ‘S’ at the same time could move the player camera to the map’s origin point
- Fixed an issue where other players looking at a DSHK caused the frame rate to drop
- Fixed an issue where players encroaching steep collision surfaces would cause the character to bounce and jitter
- Fixed an issue where clearing coordinates for an Artillery Strike before a response is given causes the grid references to be rejected
- Fixed a visual issue where the Surface to Air Missiles failed to register that they had killed aircraft and would repeatedly send SAMs to intercept aircraft as they fell out of the sky
- Fixed an issue where the DSHKs were ejecting two casings per shot
- Fixed an issue where the M1917 remained ‘up’ while sprinting while being dry-fired
- Fixed an issue where friendly incendiary damage would not kill friendlies on servers with Friendly Fire turned off. The affected player would, however, be unable to use weapons, and appear to be burning infinitely until their death
- Fixed an issue where reloading the M60 after diving to prone disrupted the player camera
- Fixed an issue where the sniper tripwire traps and punji traps remained on the battlefield after the player switched to a role which didn’t have access to those traps
- Fixed an issue where helicopters wouldn’t explode when crashing at high speed
- Fixed an issue where pistols floated away from the player’s hand when standing up from prone iron-sighting
- Fixed an issue where the DSHK moved to its originally placed rotation for several frames when mounted
- Fixed an issue where C4 could fail to stick to walls, and would return to the player’s hands after attempting to plant
- Fixed an issue where machine gunners would continue to resupply grenades at resupply points, even when carrying their maximum number of grenades.
- Fixed an issue where the player’s right arm clipped with the camera when reloading the DSHK
- Fixed collision, performance, mantling errors, and floating item bugs across all maps!
- Fixed an issue where a tunnel volume extended too far, causing players to be unable to fire their weapons
- Fixed an issue where the American customization screen wasn’t lit on Supremacy Mode Hue City
- Fixed an issue where helicopter weapons could stop making firing sounds after returning to combat
- Fixed an issue where the Supremacy announcer played the wrong voice over line when a team captured all objectives
- Fixed an issue where the main menu music looped over itself when hitting F10 to leave a server connection
- Fixed an issue where the DSHK fire sound was cut off when firing single shots
- Fixed an issue where destroying any Huey helicopters with a RPG lacked the destruction audio
- Fixed an issue where the RPG explosion sound was occasionally cut off too soon
- Fixed an issue where the M37 Ithaca Riot Shotgun variant used the wrong handling sounds
Art and Animation
- Fixed various clipping issues, open backfaces and collision issues with art across the entire game. As always, please continue to report any problematic assets you find through on the Official Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Steam forums
- Fixed an issue where large, stretched, black, fire and smoke textures would sometimes appear in the sky following a napalm strike
- Fixed an issue where equipping a light machine gun would cause animation errors
- Fixed an issue where leaning right, then aiming down whilst holding an RPG would start the lean on the left
- Fixed an issue where ducking whilst having a mounted bipod caused the player’s third person head to clip inside the body
- Fixed an issue where the player character performed the wrong animation when dismounting the DSHK
- Fixed an issue where if a player equipped a mattock out of another player’s relevancy their third person model would not be holding a mattock
- Fixed a weapon animation accuracy issue where the unsuppressed XM21’s empty reload animation used the same animation as the suppressed version
- Fixed an issue where the third person player animations would break when a player was using a MG mounted on an elevated surface while aiming down sights
- Fixed an issue where customizing key bindings would cause the bandaging animation to break
- Fixed an issue where the player dismounting the DShK would have their third person rotation set to the direction of the DShK
- Fixed an issue where equipping a weapon during bandaging would cause the player to have their side-arm ready to fire, skipping the equip animation
- Fixed an issue where when a player holstered the pick-axe or punji-spade the weapon didn’t disappear
- Fixed an issue where the m40 cocking indicator moved incorrectly when using manual bolting
- Fixed an issue where the first person hands gripping the M1/M2 Carbine moved incorrectly whilst prone
- Fixed an issue where the bayonet of the M1/M2 Carbine could be seen in the stock whilst player was prone
- Fixed an issue where the player occasionally crouched to mantle and played the incorrect animation
- Fixed an issue where the American flag had the incorrect number of stars
- Fixed an issue where in first person the XM21 and the M14 bullet casing sat in the chamber when locked open
- Fixed an issue where the DSHK mounting and dismounting animation would appear to eject the player forcefully
- Fixed an issue where the third person model of the DP28 displayed as pitch black on lower LODs
- Fixed an issue where in third person the PPSH-41 bolt was always closed when reloading
- Fixed an issue where the third person animation of the SKS bayonet would display inconsistently as either folded or unfolded on certain animations
- Fixed an issue where after being dropped, the LODs on all variants of the M37 Ithaca shotgun displayed a shotgun shell floating outside the weapon
- Fixed an issue where throwing grenades while lying prone would animate incorrectly
- Fixed an issue where the third person animation of the type 56 bayonet extended after being folded back in
- Fixed an issue where the third person M60 reload animation failed to play when prone
- Fixed an issue where the third player AK and SKS bayonet attachments briefly appeared to reconnect after removal
- Fixed an issue where the third person trigger hand would release the weapon when moving side to side
- Fixed an issue where the third person DSHK shell ejection animation was unaffected by the weapons position or angle
- Fixed an issue where drop-down menus on the settings page would appear blank when playing the game in Japanese
- Fixed an issue where the main menu sometimes stated that players were level 100
- Fixed an issue where upon first time set up a player’s rank was incorrectly displayed as ‘0’ on the main menu
- Fixed an issue where the Japanese and Chinese HUD hints and tips were blank.
- Fixed an issue on the main menu where hovering over the XP bar created a tooltip that stated ‘kill-to-death-ratio.’
- Fixed an issue where the role select loadout menu no longer displayed SL equipment
- Fixed an issue where the bleeding and restocking icons disappeared when a number key was pressed
- Fixed an issue where player level icons being displayed on the stats page were not matched to the actual levels of players
- Fixed an issue where if a commander had the map open at rounds end then the map would stay open when the teams switched sides
- Fixed an issue where the main menu was listed as a Territories map when exiting a server
- Fixed an issue where the spectating prompt remained on screen when the match timer was up
- Fixed an issue where the recoil value displayed incorrectly on certain weapons
- Fixed an issue where the objective icon remained on HUD after leaving objective area and entering a helicopter
- Fixed an issue where the icon for players being slowed would not appear on the paperdoll after entering a helicopter
- Fixed an issue where the number of claymores was not displaying correctly for the marksman class
- Fixed an issue where the After Action Report would obscure the options menu
- Fixed an issue where helicopters weren’t centered whilst spectating
- Fixed an issue where the M1D weapon information stated incorrectly that it included a bayonet
- Fixed an issue where commanders saw squad leader’s names in purple
- Fixed an issue where the commander couldn’t see squad leader tunnel icons on the map
- Fixed an issue where players in a helicopter resupply area would see the ammo resupply icon but not receive any ammo
- Fixed an issue where the Tactical Overlay’s ‘planted trap’ counter did not increment planted C4 or Claymores
- Fixed an issue where the Loach showed a pilot icon even when player was not a pilot
- Fixed an issue in Supremacy where captured objectives that were recaptured after team swap would display as being captured by initial team
- Fixed an issue where the UI clipped on the weapons stats screen at lower resolutions
- Fixed an issue where on the team select screen ‘current team’ and ‘full’ UI didn’t scale with screen resolution
Misc. Changes and Bugfixes
- Added ARVN-specific environment art and assets, such as vehicle skins, and wrecked Skyraider pieces to the SDK for custom mappers – we hope everyone enjoys using them!
- Added the ability for server operators to globally mute players through WebAdmin
- Fixed an issue where selecting game mode on quickjoin menu changed server browser filters
- Fixed an issue where the function StandToProneComplete failed and spammed the client log
- Fixed an issue where the word ‘center’ was Anglicized throughout the game. We can only apologise to our friends across the pond
- Fixed an issue where automatic graphics settings for optimization could set a user’s static and dynamic decals to off when they were not intended to be
- Fixed an issue where the server wasn’t enforcing Maximum Idle Time set by the server host
- Fixed an issue where the Maximum Idle Time in WebAdmin would consistently revert to zero
- Fixed an issue where the German abbreviation of meter was incorrectly displayed as “min.”
- Fixed an issue where hitting space after going prone caused log warnings
Rear Echelon Cosmetic DLC Pack
Added a set of all-new cosmetic options based on ‘Rear Echelon’ troops – the military police, drivers, and auxiliary forces that made the war in Vietnam possible!
Southern Style Cosmetic DLC Pack
Added functionality to instantly unlock a selection of high level cosmetic customization options for the ARVN faction.